SAMS offers one-year full-time research projects (two-year part-time) leading to the award of Masters by Research from the University of the Highlands and Islands.
Research projects are offered within research areas including:
- >Marine renewable energy
- >Physical oceanography
- >Climate processes
- >Marine ecology - from coastal to deep sea
- >Arctic seas and sea ice dynamics
- >Marine policy and governance
- >Microbial and molecular biology
- >Sediment geochemistry
We currently have no funded studentships for Master by research projects.
The following is a list of possible projects for one-year full-time (two-year part-time) Master by Research degrees for self-funded students:
- >Multi-decadal changes in the west of Scotland coastal ecosystem (Dr Clive Fox)
- >Fishers attitudes to sustainability certification schemes (Dr Clive Fox)
- >Implications of large offshore renewable arrays for fisheries (Dr Clive Fox)
- >Dispersal of early life stages of flatfish on the west of Scotland (Dr Clive Fox, Prof Mike Burrows)
- >Analysis of spurdog tag data for the west of Scotland (Dr Clive Fox)
- >Consumption of fish eggs by herring in the Irish Sea (Dr Clive Fox)
- >Can the Gulf VII pup-sampler quantitatively sample zooplankton? (Dr Clive Fox)
- >Reconstruction of individual flatfish growth histories from otolith microincrements (Dr Clive Fox, Prof Mike Burrows)
- >Developing a fjord box model for high latitudes (Dr Finlo Cottier, Prof Mark Inall)
Students on this programme pay research postgraduate tuition fees of the University of the Highlands and Islands.
To discuss your eligibility and to define your project, please get in touch.
T: +44 (0) 1631 559 427 (Fiona Tindall, Postgraduate Admissions)