Companies can rent office and laboratory space at SAMS: currently 14 businesses rent space here. Additionally, SAMS supports two virtual tenants.
Most tenants rent space in our incubator, the European Centre for Marine Biotechnology, which in a wing of SAMS' main research building. Tenants can make use of SAMS' reception services, access to the excellent infrastructure at SAMS and benefit from the co-location with SAMS scientists, students and networks. They are also on the European Marine Science Park campus and included in site-wide initiatives.
Anyone interested in becoming a tenant should contact Nicola Cook in the first instance:
T: +44 (0) 1631 559 245
If you rent space in a building owned and operated by the Scottish Association for Marine Science, SAMS will charge a rent depending on the standard of the rooms and the surrounding facilities. These will vary between the Sir John Murray Building (including the European Centre for Marine Biotechnology), the Sheina Marshall Building, the SAMS research aquarium, the Hebrides Building and the Rockall Building. VAT is not charged for the SJM/ECMB/SM buildings, but is charged for occupancy of the Hebrides and Rockall Buildings. The exact fit-out of the rented facility will be discussed and agreed between SAMS and each tenant.
Rent per square foot per year (stand 1 Jan 2017 but to be revised)
- >John Murray building, ECMB, aquarium
- >Sheina Marshall building
When tenants rent space at SAMS they also have access to a range of services and are thus liable to a service charge. All service charges attract VAT payment. For paying the service charge, tenants have the following benefits:
- >joined reception and mail sorting facilities (staffed Mon – Fri 0830 – 1715)
- >free access to SAMS facilities including toilets, kitchen facilities (with vending machines, microwaves and staff-run tea and coffee), a café in the Ocean Explorer Centre and a part-time staffed library
- >free parking, subject to space on first-come-first-served basis
- >building insurance
- >building maintenance
- >electricity usage in offices
- >cleaning of communal areas
- >free use of ECMB meeting room (ECMB tenants)
- >reduced rate on use of meeting and conference facilities at SAMS, which include excellent video conferencing facilities. Meeting and conference facilities can seat from 4 to 100 delegates. Our caterers are happy to quote for a range of options.
- >Corporate rate membership of Atlantis Leisure in Oban
Additional services not included in rent / service charge
- >Electricity – if a tenant rents only office space, service charge includes electricity. Tenants with labs, workshops or other facilities will be invoiced for the electricity they use.
- >Telephones including serviced switchboard: £10 per handset + phone bills; we can provide voicemail for £5 per mailbox.
- >Cleaning: the cleaning of shared spaces is included in the service charge but cleaning of the rented space is the responsibility of the tenant. If you want to hire SAMS cleaners, this costs an additional £10 per hour and it is up to the tenant to decide how much cleaning to contract in.
- >Access to SAMS research infrastructure: please discuss your requirements
- >Photocopying and printing: tenants can pay for access to SAMS photocopying and printing facilities (SAMS can print up to A0 and banners) – you will be invoiced for usage
- >IT and communications support: please discuss your requirements (SAMS has high bandwidth IT connection provided by the UK University ISP Janet).
Additional free benefits for SAMS tenants
- >access to SAMS seminars and events
- >access to expertise from a range of professionals from science, education, management, HR, H&S, IT, communications, marketing etc
- >networking opportunities
- >opportunities to develop joint projects with SAMS staff and students
- >opportunity to engage with SAMS students as interns, for projects or as p/t staff
- >part of the internal email system provides information on accommodation, sporting and cultural activities as well as monthly charity bake sales
- >opportunity to join active social life on site including staff organised lunchtime sports classes
We offer occasional virtual tenancies mostly to new companies who want to become tenants at SAMS when their business is more mature. Occasionally we also accommodate bigger businesses to enable them to expand their activities in Scotland.
- >Use of European Centre for Marine Biotechnology postal address
- >Pigeon hole for post mail
- >Access pass for SAMS facilities to collect mail and messages Mon – Fri 0845 – 1709
- >Forwarding mail to another postal address (recharges for postage will be added)
- >Telephone number with remote access voicemail can be arranged (additional charges)
- >Photocopying (additional charges)
- >Meeting room space available to hire by the hour with use of AV and VC capabilities if required
- >Free access to SAMS seminars, library and café
- >Free use of SAMS Wi-Fi
- >Inclusion in site-wide email messages possible
A virtual tenancy will be regulated via an exchange of a letter signed by both parties.
The following are some of our tenant companies
BBC Alba - hosting BBC journalists covering the west of Scotland for the BBC's Gaelic channel
Crubag - marine science is beautiful textile and fashion design
Cuan Tec - blue biotech company making compostable, antimicrobial bioplastic from waste of the fisheries industry
FishVet Group - aquaculture health provider - local office
Lallemand Aquapharm - selection and screening of marine organisms
OTAQ - technology company for aquaculture, fisheries and renewables industries
Shaw's Law - law firm
The Scottish Salmon Company - salmon farming business
Tritonia Scientific Ltd - scientific and commercial diving and recompression services (formerly National Facility for Scientific Diving)
Little Learners, part of Argyll College UHI, rents space on SAMS' estate for their nursery.
AquaMoor - smart mooring systems
Sezanne Marine - marine engineers
Tenants based at SAMS or at the wider European Marine Science Park can access a range of our services and equipment.
Please contact our commercial subsidiary SRSL for quotes (Email us: email@example.com).
Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS)
Seawater trace metal analysis by SeaFAST ICP-MS
Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry using Laser Ablation (LA-ICP-MS)
Piccaro L2130 Oxygen Isotope Mass Spectrometer
Carbon and Nitrogen Elemental Analyser
Inorganic Nutrient Autoanalyser
High Performance Liquid Chromatography (for measuring algal polysaccharides and photosysnthetic pigments in biological and sediment samples)
Gas Chromatography (trace gas analysis)
Gas Chromatography (analysis of lipids)
Total Carbon Analyser (DIC, TA)
Total Organic Carbon Analyser
Automated Nitrogen Carbon Analysis for Gas, Solids and Liquids (ANCA-GSL)
Taxonomic phytoplankton analysis
Algal patent deposit service
Pigment / lipid / protein / carbohydrate analysis
Mass culture and harvesting of bacteria and algae
Advice on access and benefit sharing (Nagoya Protocol)
Shipping biological samples
- >Inverted and standard Zeiss with LED/Halogen/Fluorescence illumination and image capture / analysis
- >Zeiss confocal
Flow cytometer and coulter counter
Illuminated constant temperature rooms and incubators for culturing algae and other organisms with temp ranges 0-37oC
Laminar flow hoods
Centrifugation and filtration equipment
Molecular taxonomy, including 16S and 18S ribosomal RNA gene sequencing
Bacterial and algal bioinformatics
In situ hybridisation
1D protein electrophoresis
Thermal cyclers for PCR and qPCR
UV-Vis Nanodrop low-volume spectrophotometer
1 and 2D protein gel electrophoresis
Absorbance / fluorescence / luminescence plate readers
Micro and general centrifuges (including refrigerated)