SAMS Enterprise is the wholly-owned trading subsidiary of the Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS), Scotland’s premier independent marine science organisation since 1884.
SAMS Enterprise provides specialist marine consultancy and survey services, underpinned by cutting-edge science. We enable our clients to understand and mitigate the risks involved in industry interaction with the marine environment; to maximise productivity and sustainability. SAMS Enterprise provides a bespoke service, based on a synergistic approach to complex projects that single discipline organisations simply cannot achieve. We project manage intellectual expertise, laboratory work and survey schedules to ensure delivery to time and budget for our clients. SAMS Enterprise is a respected and independent third-party, providing reliable and robust environmental assessments that industry can trust.
SAMS Enterprise is seeking a new Board member commencing early in the New Year. It wishes to see a broadening of the skills represented on the Board, including but not limited to: international experience in marine or environmental sectors, enterprise and innovation.
The spread of experience and skills that are sought for the Board is broad. Individuals are sought who can contribute to at least one of the following areas:
- Clear demonstration of the ability to operate at Board level, most likely through previous strategic/board-level experience; preferably previous experience in a Non-Executive Director role.
- Senior role in a university, research, commercial or entrepreneurial organisation; preferably in marine, environmental or related sectors.Experience of building effective funding and/or income-generating A record of achievement in marketing and/or philanthropic fundraising would be welcome.
- Demonstration of a strong commitment to equality and diversity, preferably with experience of leading positive culture change.
- An ability to work strategically and collaboratively at a senior level with knowledge of excellent corporate governance.
- Significant organisational business acumen.
- Ability to lead change successfully and positively influence individuals and organisations.
- Strong networking skills preferably with a significant commercial network.
This position is unremunerated, although travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Appointments will be for an initial three-year term that may be extended for a further three-years. The minimum time commitment, including preparation for and participation in formal committee meetings, is approximately 10 days per annum. The majority of meetings will be generally held in Oban but recent experiences have shown that virtual meetings can be very effective and it is likely these will continue; however, there is an expectation that some meetings will resume in the laboratory in Oban, thus travel time will need to be added to this.
The deadline for applications is 7 December 2021.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview virtually in December 2021.
Application is by covering letter and short CV to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (01631 559272) from whom further information can be obtained.
The Scottish Association for Marine Science has a positive attitude towards diversity. We are committed to equality of opportunity amongst our staff and students: we aim to achieve balanced gender representation in our Board membership.