My research interest
Applied research into fisheries issues such as discarding and habitat impacts; Controls upon the population dynamics of marine finfish; Large-scale patterns in the distribution of the fish eggs and larvae and zooplankton in relation to oceanography; Environmental and biological controls on the growth and survival of fish through the egg, larval and juvenile stages; Impacts of climate change on marine finfish; Development of indicators for use in ecosystem-based management; Analysis of otoliths; Development and application of novel methods for ecological investigations e.g. genetic probes for plankton identification and food-web studies. Interactions between zooplankton and aquaculture e.g. impacts of jellyfish on caged finfish and recently broader issues around marine planning and strategy.
Current research projects
SIFIDS: Developing an integrated data system for Scottish inshore fisheries. My role is to map scallop stocks using an autonomous underwater vehicle. Funded by the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund. 2016-19
MarPAMM: Developing tools for managing and monitoring Marine Protected Areas in Northern Ireland, Ireland and Western Scotland. Funded by EU INTERREG VA Programme managed by the Special EU Programmes Body. 2018-22
Razor-clam surveys: Developing methodology to survey razor clam beds using combination of towed-video and electrofishing. Funded by Fishing Industry Science Partnership. 2016-17
Survivability Nephrops discards II: Co-PI with Dr Amaya Albalat, Uni Stirling - Estimating survivability of post-trawled discarded Nephrops. Funded by Fisheries Innovation Scotland. 2016-17
Wildweed: Looking at whether harvesting of kelp could be a diversification opportunity for Scottish (inshore) fishers. Co-PI. Funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise. 2017
Workshop on Ecosystem based fisheries: Participant in workshop exploring ecosystem-based management issues. Funded by Fisheries Innovation Scotland. 2016-17
Marine Science BSc - module leader 3rd year / level 9 'Fisheries Ecology'
Marine Science BSc - lecturer 3rd year / level 9 'Marine Conservation'
Marine Science BSc - lecturer 2nd year / level 8 'Statistics and Experimental Design'
Ecosystem-based Management of Marine Systems MSc - programme leader
Ecosystem-based Management of Marine Systems MSc - module leader 'Marine Governance, Planning and Management'
IDCORE - lecturer
Current research students
Jacob Bentley (UHI PhD student 2016-now): Food-web modelling of the Irish Sea
Karen Boswarva (UHI PhD student 2016-now): Habitat mapping using autonomous underwater vehicles
Alumni research students
Karen Boswarva (St Andrews MSc student 2014-15): Jellyfish polyps in marinas
Rachel Seary (St Andrews MSc student 2014-15): Variations in scallop growth
James Rimmer (St Andrews MSc student 2014-15): Growth rates of spurdog
Craig Morton (St Andrews MRes student 2013-14): Jellyfish polyps in marinas
Eleni Levanou (St Andrews MRes student 2013-14): Plankton seasonality in Firth of Lorn
Anna Kintner (St Andrews/MASTS PhD student 2011-16): Jellyfish impacts on aquaculture
Chad Widmer (St Andrews/MASTS PhD student 2010-14): Jellyfish polyp ecology
Raeanne Miller (UHI PhD student 2009-14): Renewable devices as stepping stones
James Kennedy (Uni Liverpool PhD student 2003-06): Reproduction in plaice
Research degree examiner / thesis advisor
James Bennett (MSc - 2016, University Nottingham): External examiner
Neil Clark (PhD - 2015, SAMS UHI): Internal examiner
Rebecca Geisler (PhD - 2015-18, University Edinburgh): Thesis panel
Riccardo Arosio (PhD - 2-14-17, SAMS UHI): Thesis panel
Kathy Dunlop (PhD - 2013, Glasgow University): External examiner
Bernadette O'Niell (Phd - 2012, UIG Galway): External examiner
Stephanie Lelievre (PhD - 2010, IFREMER, France): External examiner
Lindsay Wilson (MSc - 2009, University Aberdeen): Internal Examiner
Enrique Duval (PhD - 2008, University Liverpool): External examiner
Summer / internship host
Tara Lawrence (2016) Scallop growth. York University
Judith Engelke (2014) Scallop growth. Universität Konstanz, Germany
Meri Lappalainen (2014) Ichthyoplankton. Unversity of Glasgow
Kasper de Kroon (2012) Plaice growth & behaviour. Van Hall Larenstein, University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands
Melanie Zoelck (2012-13) Plaice otholiths. Galway-Mayo Inst. Technology
Lena Hortsmeyer (2011) Plaice growth & behaviour. Universität Konstanz, Germany
Ruby Nervoort (2012) Sociology of herring fisheries. Van Hall Larenstein, University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands
I have 25+ years of experience working on fisheries projects and have an extensive knowledge of the Scottish fishing industry, working both with the Fisheries Industry Science Initiative and local fishers.
I have recently been working on projects on razor-clam stock assessment and survival of discarded Nephrops from trawlers operating in the Minches and Firth of Forth.
I also evaluate data requirements for improving inshore fisheries management which involves close collaboration with the Inshore Fisheries Groups in the Clyde and Moray Firth.
I have also written and contributed to numerous technical reports including peer-review of fish biology and fisheries aspects of Environmental Impact Assessments.
Accessing consultancy services from SAMS
SAMS consultancy work is delivered through its wholly owned commercial subsidiary, SAMS Research Services Ltd. (SRSL). SRSL operates a comprehensive Quality Management System (QMS) that is accredited to ISO9001:2008 standard, guaranteeing that all projects deliver the best possible service to our customers. All SRSL projects are planned by a professional programme manager who oversees a team of dedicated project managers, all of whom are focussed specifically on client delivery, and have scientific experience and technical expertise in fields relevant to their assigned projects. For further information concerning commercial enterprise opportunities at SAMS, please contact SRSL by email (email@example.com) or phone +44 (0) 1631 559 470.
Peer reviewed publications
Bentley, J.W., Serpetti, N., Fox, C., Heymans, J.J., and Reid, D.G., 2020. Retrospective analysis of the influence of environmental drivers on commercial stocks and fishing opportunities in the Irish Sea. Fisheries Oceanography, https://doi.org/10.1111/fog.12486.
Bentley J.W, Serpetti N., Fox C., Heymans J.J., and Reid D.G., 2019. Fishers’ knowledge improves the accuracy of food web model predictions. ICES Journal of Marine Science. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsz003
- Fox, C.J., McLay, A., Dickens, S., 2019. Development and application of electrofishing with towed video as a new survey method for razor clams (Ensis spp.). Fish. Res. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2019.01.027
- Bentley JW, Hines D, Borrett S, Serpetti N, Fox C, Reid DG, Heymans JJ (2018) Diet uncertainty analysis strengthens model-derived indicators of food web structure and function. Ecological Indicators 98: 239-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.11.008
- Benjamins, S., Fox, C. J., Last, K. S., McCarty, C. E., 2018. Individual identification of flapper skate Dipturus intermedius using a baited camera lander. Endangered Species Research 37, p37. https://doi.org/10.3354/esr00911
- Boswarva K, Butters A, Fox CJ, Howe JA, Narayanaswamy B (2018) Improving marine habitat mapping using high-resolution acoustic data; a predictive habitat map for the Firth of Lorn, Scotland. Continental Shelf Research 168: 39-47 DOI: 10.1016/j.csr.2018.09.005
- Graziano, M., Fox, C.J., Alexander, K., Pita, C., Heymans, S.J.J., Crumlish, M., Hughes, A., Ghanawi, J. & Cannella, L. (2017) Does consolidation bring resilience? – Lessons from a multidisciplinary analysis and comparison of two industrial sectors - farmed Atlantic salmon and North-east Atlantic mackerel. In prep.
- Fox, C.J., Benjamins, S., Masden, E. A. & Miller, R. (2017) Challenges and opportunities in monitoring the impacts of tidal-stream energy devices on marine vertebrates. Reviews in Sustainable and Renewable Energy http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.06.004
- Höffle, H., van Damme, C., Fox, C., Lelièvre, S., Loots, C., Nash, R.D.M., Vaz, S., Wright, P.J. & Munk, P. (2017) Linking spawning ground extent to environmental factors - patterns and dispersal during the egg phase of four North Sea fishes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, In press doi:10.1139/cjfas-2016-0310
- Albalat, A., McAdam, B. & Fox, C.J. (2016) Discard patterns and post-catch survivability of Norway lobster (Nephrops norvegicus) in an inshore, live-market, trawl fishery. Journal of Shellfish Research: 35, 1053-1065. doi:10.2983/035.035.0428
- Widmer, C., Fox, C.J. & Brierley, A.S. (2016) Effects of temperature and salinity on four species of north-eastern Atlantic scyphistomae (Cnidaria: Scyphozoa). Marine Ecology Progress Series: 559, 73-88. doi:2010.3354/meps11879
- Bundy, A., Chuenpagdee, R., Boldt, J., Borges, M., Lamine , C., Diallo, I., Fox, C., Fulton, B., Gazihan, A., Jarre, A., Jouffre, D., Kleisner, K., Knight, B., Link, J., Matiku, P., Masski, H., Moutopoulos, D., Piroddi, C., Raid, T., Sobrino, I., Tam, J., Thiao, D. Torres, M., Tsagarakis, K., van der Meeren, G., Shin, Y. (2016) Strong fisheries management and governance positively impact ecosystem status. Fish and Fisheries doi:10.1111/faf.12184
- Coll, M., Shannon, L.J., Kleisner, K.M., Juan-Jordá, M.J., Bundy, A., Akoglu, A.G., Banaru, D., Boldt, J.L., Borges, M.F., Cook, A., Diallo, I., Fu, C., Fox, C., Gascuel, D., Gurney, L.J., Hattab, T, Heymans, J.J., Jouffre, D., Knight, B.R., Kucukavsar, S., Large, S.I., Lynam, C., Machias, A., Marshall, K.N., Masski, H., Ojaveer, H., Piroddi, C., Tam, J., Thiao, D., Thiaw, M., Torres, M.A., Travers-Trolet, M., Tsagarakis, K., Tuck, I., van der Meeren, G.I., Yemane, D., Zador, S.G. and Shin, Y.J. (2016) Ecological indicators to capture the effects of fishing on biodiversity and conservation status of marine ecosystems. Ecological Indicators 60, 947-962. doi:10.1016/j.ecolind.2015.08.048
- Kleisner, K.M., Coll, M., Lynam, C.P., Bundy, A., Shannon, L., Shin, Y.-J., Boldt, J.L., Maria, F.B., Diallo, I., Fox, C., Gascuel, D., Heymans, J.J., Juan Jordá, M.J., Jouffre, D., Large, S.I., Marshall, K.N., Ojaveer, H., Piroddi, C., Tam, J., Torres, M.A., Travers-Trolet, M., Tsagarakis, K., van der Meeren, G.I., Zador, S. (2015) Evaluating changes in marine communities that provide ecosystem services through comparative assessments of community indicators. Ecosystem Services 16, 413-429. doi:10.1016/j.ecoser.2015.02.002
- Gascuel, D., Coll, M., Fox, C., Guénette, S., Guitton, J., Kenny, A., Knittweis, L., Nielsen, R.J., Peit, G., Raid, T., Travers-Trolet, M. & Shephard, S. (2014) Fishing impact and good environmental status in European seas: a diagnosis from stock-based and ecosystem indicators. Fish and Fisheries. doi:1111/faf.12090
- Fox, C.J., Targett, T.E., Ciotti, B.J., de Kroon, K, Horstmeyer, L., & Burrows, M. (2014) Size of 0-group plaice during late summer is determined by local habitat at Scottish west coast nursery grounds. Journal of Sea Research, 88, 59-66. doi:10.1016/j.seares/2013.12.015
- Heath, M.R., Preedy, K.F., Culling, M.A., Crozier, W.W., Fox, C.J., Gurney, W.S.C., Hutchinson, W.F., Nielsen, E.E., O’Sullivan, M., Righton, D.A., Speirs, D.C., Taylor, M.I., Wright, P.J., & Carvalho, G.R. (2014) Combination of genetics and spatial modelling highlights the sensitivity of cod (Gadus morhua) population diversity in the North Sea to distributions of fishing. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 71, 794-807. doi:10.1093/icesjms/fst185
- Comerford, S., Brophy, D., Fox, C.J., Taylor, N., van der Veer, H.W., Nash, R.D.M. & Geffen, A.J. (2013) Temperature effect on growth and larval duration of plaice Pleuronectes platessa in three regions of the Northeast Atlantic Marine Ecology Progress Series 476, 215-226. doi:10.3354/meps10118
- Greenstreet, S.P.R., Rossberg, A.G., Fox, C.J., Le Quesne, W.J.F., Blasdale, T., Boulcott, P., Mitchell, I., Millar, C. & Moffat, C.F. (2012) Demersal fish biodiversity: species-level indicators and trends based targets for the Marine Strategy Framework Directive. ICES Journal of Marine Science 69, 1789-1801. 10.1093/icesjms/fss148
- Fox, C.J., Taylor, M.., van der Kooij, J., Pascoal, S., Lallias, D., Maillard, M., Taylor, N. Milligan, S.M., Albaina, A. & Hunter, E. (2012) Identification of marine fish egg predators using molecular probes. Marine Ecology Progress Series 462, 205-218. doi:10.3354/meps09748
- Hunter, E., Taylor, N., Fox, C.J., Maillard, M. & Taylor, M.I. (2012) Effectiveness of TaqMan probes for detection of fish eggs and larvae in the stomach contents of a teleost predator. Journal of Fish Biology 81, 320-328. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8649.2012.03298.x
- Plirú, A., van der Kooij, J., Engelhard, G.H., Fox, C.J., Milligan, S.P., and Hunter, E. (2012) Sprat feeding behaviour, selective predation, and impact on plaice egg mortality. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 69, 1019-1029. doi:10.1093/icesjms/fss081
- Callaway, R., Shinn, A.P., Grenfe, S.E., Bron, J.E., Burnell, G., Cook, E.J., Crumlish, M., Cullotys, S., Davidson, K., Ellis, R.P., Flynn, K.J., Fox, C., Green, D.M., Hays, G.C., Hughes, A., Johnston, E., Lowe, C.D., Lupatsch, I., Malham, S., Mendzil, A.F., Nickell, T. Pickerel, T., Rowley, A.F., Stanley, M.S. Tocher, D.R., Turnbull, J.F., Webb, G., Wootton, E. and Shields, R. (2012) Climate change and marine aquaculture in the UK. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems, 22, 389-421. doi:10.1002/aqc.2247.
- Lelievre, S., Vaz, S. & Fox C. (2012) The effectiveness of the continuous underway fish egg sampler compared with standard vertical plankton hauls for sampling the eggs of demersal species in the southern North Sea. Fisheries Oceanography, 21, 109-124 doi:10.1111/j.1365-2419.2012.00613.x
- Albaina, A., Taylor, M.I. & Fox, C.J. (2012) Molecular detection of plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) remains in the stomachs of potential predators on a Scottish flatfish nursery ground. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 444, 223-238. doi:10.3354/meps09439
- Frost, J.R. Denda, A., Fox, C.J., Jacoby, C.A., Koppelmann, R.M. Nielsen, St. John, M.H., Marsh, A., Youngbluth, J. (2012) Abundance, distribution and trophic links of gelatinous zooplankton on Dogger Bank, North Sea. Marine Biology, 159, 239-253. doi:10.1007/s00227-011-1803-7
- Albaina, A., Fox, C.J., Taylor, N., Hunter, E., Maillard, M. & Taylor, M.I. (2010) A TaqMan real-time PCR based assay targeting plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) DNA to detect predation by the brown shrimp (Crangon crangon L.) and the shore crab (Carcinus maenas L.) -Assay development and validation. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 391, 178-189. doi:10.1016/j.jembe.2010.06.029
- Watts, P.C., Kay, S.M., Wolfenden, D., Fox, C.J., Geffen, A.J., Kemp, S.J. & Nash, R.D.M. (2010) Temporal patterns of spatial genetic structure and effective population size in European plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) along the west coast of Scotland and in the Irish Sea. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 67, 607-616, doi:10.1093/icesjms/fsp274
- Munk, P., Fox, C.J., Bolle, Loes J., Van Damme, Cindy J.G., Fossum, P. & Kraus, G. (2009) Spawning of North Sea fishes linked to hydrographic features. Fisheries Oceanography, 18, 458-469, doi:1111/j.1365-2419.2009.00525.x
- van Damme, C.J.G., Bolle, L.J., Fox, C.J., Fossum, P., Kraus, G., Munk, P., Rohlf, N., Witthames, P.R. & Dickey-Collas, M. (2009) A reanalysis of North Sea plaice spawning-stock biomass using the annual egg production method. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 66, 1999-2011
- Fox, C.J., McCloghrie, P. & Nash, R.D.M. (2009) Potential transport of plaice eggs and larvae between two apparently self-contained sub-populations in the Irish Sea. Estuarine, Coastal Shelf Science, 81, 381-389, doi:1016/j.ecss.2008.10.024
- Pitois, S.G., Shaw, M., Fox, C.J. & Frid, C.L.J. (2009) A new fine-mesh zooplankton time series from the Dove sampling station (North Sea). Journal of Plankton Research, 31, 337-343, doi:10.1093/plankt/fbn121
- Pitois, S.G. & Fox, C.J. (2008) Empirically modelling the potential effects of changes in temperature and prey availability on the growth of cod larvae in UK shelf seas. ICES Journal of Marine Science 65, 1559–1572, doi:10.1093/icesjms/fsn150
- Goodsir, F., Armstrong, M.J. Witthames, P.R. Maxwell, D.L. & Fox, C.J. (2008) The use of species-specific TaqMan probes for identifying early stage gadoid eggs following formaldehyde fixation. ICES Journal of Marine Research 65, 1573-1577, doi:10.1093/icesjms/fsn180
- Fox, C.J. & Aldridge, J.N. (2008) Simulating the marine environment and its use in fisheries research. In, Advances in fisheries Science, 50 years on from Beverton and Holt, Blackwell Science, 399-417
- Fox, C.J., Taylor, M, Dickey-Collas M, Fossum P., Kraus G., Rohlf N., Munk P., van Damme M.C.J., Bolle L., Maxwell, D. & Wright, P. (2008) Mapping the spawning grounds of North Sea cod (Gadus morhua) by direct and indirect means. Proceedings of the Royal Society 275B, 1543–1548, doi:10.1098/rspb.2008.0201
- Kennedy, J., Withames, P.R., Nash, R.D.M. & Fox, C.J. (2008) Is fecundity in plaice (Pleuronectes platessa L.) down-regulated in response to reduced food intake during autumn? Journal of Fish Biology 72, 78-92, doi:10.1111/j.1095-8649.2007.01651.x
- van der Molen, J., Fox, C.J., Rogers, S. & McCloghrie, P. (2007) Dispersal pathways of fish early life stages in the Irish Sea. Journal of Sea Research 58, 313-330, 10.1016/j.seares.2007.07.003
- Fox, C.J., Geffen, A.J., Bunn, N., Davison, P., McCloghrie, P., Nash, R.D.M. & Rossetti, H. (2007) Birth-date selection in early life stages of plaice (Pleuronectes platessa ) in the eastern Irish Sea (British Isles). Marine Ecology Progress Series, 345, 255-269, doi.10.3354/meps06967
- Roques, S., Fox, C.J., Villasana, M.I. & Rico, C. (2006) The complete mitochondrial genome of the whiting, Merlangius merlangus and the haddock, Melanogrammus aeglefinus: a detailed genomic comparison among closely related species of the Gadidae family. Gene, 383, 12-23, 10.1016/j.gene.2006.06.018
- Geffen, A.J., Fox, C.J.& Nash, R.D.M. (2006) Temperature dependent development rates of cod (Gadus morhua) eggs. Journal of Fish Biology, 69, 1060-1080, 10.1111/j.1095-8649.2006.01181.x
- Pitois, S. & Fox, C.J. (2006) Long-term changes in zooplankton biomass concentration and mean size over the Northwest European shelf inferred from Continuous Plankton Recorder data. ICES Journal Marine Science. 63, 785-798, 10.1016/j.icesjms.2006.03.009
- Fox, C.J., McCloghrie, P., Young, E.F. & Nash, R.D.M. (2006) The importance of individual behaviour for successful settlement of juvenile plaice - a modelling and field study in the eastern Irish Sea. Fisheries Oceanography, 15, 301-313, 10.1111/j.1365-2419.2005.00396.x
- Blanchard, J.L., Mills, C., Jennings, S., Fox, C.J., Rackham, B., Eastwood, P. & O’Brien C.M. (2005) Distribution-abundance relationships for North Sea cod (Gadus morhua): observation versus theory. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 62, 2001-2009, 10.1139/F05-109
- Fox, C.J., Taylor, M.I., Pereyra, R., Villasana-Ortiz, M.I. & Rico, C. (2005) TaqMan DNA technology confirms previous over-estimation of cod (Gadus morhua) egg abundance in the Irish Sea: implications for the assessment of the cod stock and mapping spawning areas using egg based methods. Molecular Ecology, 14, 879-884, doi.10.1111/j.1365-294X.2005.02439.x
- Fox, C.J., Folkvord, A. & Geffen, A.J. (2003) Otolith micro-increment formation in herring (Clupea harengus) larvae growing under high and low growth rates. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 264, 83-94. www.int-res.com/articles/meps2003/264/m264p083.pdf
- Clark, R.A., Fox, C.J., Viner, D. & Livermore, M. (2003) North Sea cod and climate change – modelling the effects of temperature on population dynamics. Global Change Biology, 9, 1669-1680, 10.1046/j.1365-2486.2003.00685.x
- Fox, C.J., Blyth, R. & Geffen, A. (2003) Temperature dependent development rates of plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) eggs from the Irish Sea. Journal of Plankton Research, 25, 1319-1330, doi.10.1093/plankt/fbg099
- Dickey-Collas, M., Fox, C.J., Nash, R.D.M. & O’Brien, C.M. (2003) Plaice egg mortality: can we determine survivorship? Journal of Sea Research, 50, 211-225, 10.1016/S1385-1101(03)00082-0
- Planque, B., Fox, C.J., Saunders, M.A. & Rockett, P. (2003) On the prediction of short-term changes in the recruitment of North Sea cod (Gadus morhua) using statistical temperature forecasts, Scientia Marina, SAP Symposium Proceedings, 67 (Suppl. 1), 211-218, icm.csic.es/scimar/PDFs/26planque.pdf
- Taylor, M.I., Fox, C.J., Rico, I. & Rico, C. (2002) Species-specific probes for simulataneous identification of the eggs of cod (Gadus morhua), haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus) and whiting (Merlangius merlangus). Molecular Ecology Notes, 2, 599-601, 10.1046/j.1471-8278. 2002.00269.x
- Tytler, P., Fox, C.J. & Folkvord, A. (2002) Glycoconjugates in the otolithic membrane of herring larvae: a possible framework for encoding the life history recorder in fishes. Journal of Fish Biology, 61, 39-49, 10.1111/j.1095-8649.2002.tb01735.x
- Fox, C. J. (2001) Recent trends in stock-recruitment of Blackwater herring in relation to larval production. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 58, 750-762, 10.1006/jmsc.2001.1063
- Fox, C.J., Planque, B. & Darby, C.D. (2000) Synchrony in the recruitment time-series of plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) around the United Kingdom and the influence of sea temperature. Journal of Sea Research, 44, 159-168, doi.10.1016/S1385-1101(00)00039-3
- Fox, C. J. & Aldridge, J. N. (2000) Hydrographic circulation and the dispersal of herring larvae in the Blackwater Estuary. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 80, 921-928, Not available electronically
- Temple, G., Fox, C.J., Stewart, R. & Johnston, I.A. (2000) Variability in muscle growth characteristics during the spawning season in a natural population of Atlantic herring Clupea harengus. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 205, 271-281, int-res.com/articles/meps/205/m205p271.pdf
- Fox, C. J., O'Brien, C. M., Dickey-Collas, M. & Nash, R. D. M. (2000) Patterns in the spawning of cod (Gadus morhua L.) sole (Solea solea) and plaice (Pleuronectes platessa L.) in the Irish Sea as determined by generalised additive modelling. Fisheries Oceanography, 9, 50-61, doi.10.1046/j.1365-2419.2000.00120.x
- O’Brien, C.M., Fox, C.J., Planque, B. & Casey, J. (2000) North Sea cod and climate change. Nature 404, 142, 10.1038/35004654
- Fox, C.J., Harrop, R. & Winpenny, A. (1999) Feeding ecology of herring (Clupea harengus) larvae in the turbid Blackwater estuary. Marine Biology 134, 353-365, 10.1007/s002270050552
- Planque, B. & Fox, C.J. (1998) Interannual variability in temperature and the recruitment of Irish Sea cod. Marine Ecology Progress Series 172, 101-105, int-res.com/articles/meps/172/m172p101.pdf
- Fox, C.J. (1996) Length changes in herring (Clupea harengus) larvae: effects of capture and storage in formaldehyde and alcohol. Journal of Plankton Research 18, 483-493, 10.1093/plankt/18.4.483
- Dickey-Collas, M., Gowen, R.J. & Fox, C.J. (1996) Distribution of larval and juvenile fish in the Western Irish Sea: Relationship to phytoplankton, zooplankton biomass and recurrent physical features. Marine and Freshwater Research 47, 169-181, 10.1071/MF9960169
- Fox, C.J., Blow, P., Brown, J.H. & Watson, I. (1994) The effect of various processing methods on the physical and biochemical properties of shrimp head meals and their utilization by juvenile Peneaus monodon Aquaculture 122, 209-226, doi.10.1016/0044-8486(94)90511-8
- Briggs, M.R.P., Brown, J.H. & Fox, C.J. (1994) The effect of dietary lipid and lecithin levels on the growth, survival, feeding efficiency, production and carcass composition of post-larval Peneaeus monodon Aquaculture and Fisheries Management 25, 279-294, Not available electronically
- Fox, C.J. (1993) The effect of dietary chitin on the growth, survival and chitinase levels in the digestive gland of juvenile Peneaus monodon (Fab.). Aquaculture 109, 39-49, 10.1016/0044-8486(93)90484-G
- Fox, C.J., Gamble, J., Sargent, J.R. & Tytler, P. (1990) Liposome ingestion - A novel technique for studying fish larval nutrition. In: Trophic Relationships in the Marine Environment, Proceedings of the 24th European Marine Biology Symposium, 1990, Dunstaffnage Marine Laboratory, Oban, Scotland, pp. 578-587, Aberdeen University Press, Not available electronically
- Falk-Petersen, S., Sargent, J.R., Fox, C., Falk-Petersen, I.B., Haug, T. & Kjorsvik, E. (1989) Lipids in Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hipposglossus) eggs from planktonic samples in northern Norway. Marine Biology 101, 553-556, 10.1007/BF00541658
- Bentley, J. W., Serpetti, N., Fox, C., Reid, D., Heymans, J. J. (2018) Modelling the food web in the Irish Sea in the context of a depleted commercial fish community. Part 1: Ecopath Technical Report. Scottish Association for Marine Science, Oban. U.K. Report no. 294, p.147 https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.63
- Tett P, Benjamins S, Black KD, Coulson M, Davidson K, Fernandes T, Fox C, Hart M, Hicks N, Hughes A, Hunter D-C, Nickell T, Risch D, Tocher D, Vare L, Vespoor E, Wilding T, Wilson B, Wittich A (2018) Review of the environmental impacts of salmon farming in Scotland. Report for the Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform (ECCLR) Committee. The Scottish Parliament, 196 pp.
- Fox CJ (2017) To Develop the Methodology to Undertake Stock Assessments on Razor Fish Using Combinations of Video Monitoring and Electrofishing Gear Fishing Industry Science Alliance (FISA) Project 09/15. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science Vol 8, Issue 6, 897 pp.
- Fox, C., Macfadyen, G. & Cappell, R. (2016) Capture Fisheries. Commonwealth Blue Economy Series, Commonwealth Secretariat, London, 62 pp.
- Fox, C.J., Valcic, L., Veszelovski, A. (2015) A pilot study to define the footprint and activities of Scottish inshore fisheries by identifying target fisheries, habitats and associated fish stocks. Evidence gathering in support of sustainable Scottish inshore fisheries. European Fisheries Fund (EFF) Inshore Fisheries Management, Work Package 4 Final Report SRS004SIF, SRSL, Oban, 193 pp.
- Little, A., Bailey, N., Cook, R., Curtis, H., Fox, C., Heath, M., Marshall, T., Mouat, B., Fernandes, P. (2015) A review of Scotland's capture fisheries: stock status, knowledge gaps, research requirements and stakeholder engagement. Fisheries Innovation Scotland, 118 pp.
- Black, K.D., Dale, A., Fox, C., Forster, I., Howe, J., Narayanaswamy, B. & Risch, D. (2015) A Review of Noble Energy Falklands Limited, Rhea-1 Exploration Well, Environmental Impact Statement V 2.0, 7th May 2015, 024-15-EHSR-EIS-PA-T4, SAMS, Oban, 16 pp.
- Black, K.D., Dale, A.C., Forster, I., Fox, C., Howe, J., Hughes, D.J., Risch, D. (2014) A Review of Premier Oil 2015 Exploration Campaign Environmental Impact Statement (29/9/14), Document No: FK-BU-PMO-EV-REP-0003 for Falkland Islands Government, SRSL, 23 pp. Commercial in confidence
- Fox, C.J., Lappalainen, M. (2014) Spring plankton surveys in the Firth of Lorn in 2009 - The distribution of fish eggs and larvae with notes on the importance of the area as a spawning and nursery habitat., SAMS Internal Report 283, 40 pp. doi:10.13140/2.1.1739.0089
- Fox, C.J. (2014) A workshop to address the issues surrounding a discarding ban in the Scottish Nephrops MASTS Report, 37 pp. Available to download from MASTS website or from doi:10.13140/2.1.2661.2802
- Fox, C.J. (2014) Issues around fisheries for small pelagic fish. A report prepared for the Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome, 256 pp. Published as Fox CJ (2014) Issues around fisheries for small pelagic fish, SAMS Internal Reports 284, Scottish Association for Marine Science, Oban, 260 pp. doi:10.13140/2.1.2396.1600
- Cook, E.J., Davidson, K., Fox, C. and Black, K. (2013) Monitoring and eradication of invasive and non-native species in aquaculture units. Report by Scottish Association for Marine Science to the Scottish Aquaculture Research Forum. Tender Ref: SARF087. 39pp.
- Fox, C.J. (2013) Natural Fish Populations Baseline Surveys for the Islay Offshore Wind Farm EIA, Scottish and Southern Energy Renewables (SSER).
- Fox, C.J. (2013) Environmental Impact Assessment for Natural Fish Populations and Commercial Fish for the West Islay Tidal Energy Farm, DP Marine Energy Ireland Ltd.
- Fox, C.J. & Beveridge, C. (2013) Jellyfish sampling and identification manual, Scottish Association for Marine Science and The Crown Estate, 86 pp.
- Callaway, R., Shinn, A.P., Bron, J.E., Burnell, G., Cook, E.J., Cumlish, M., Culloty, S., Davidson, K., Ellis, R.P., Flynn, K.J., Fox, C., Green, D.M., Grenfell, S.E., Hayes, G., Hughes, A., Johnston, E., Lupatsch, I., Malham, S., Mendzil, A.F., Nickell, T., Pickerel, T., Rowley, A.F., Stanley, M., Tocher, D.R., Turnbull, J.F., Webb, G., Wooton, E., Sheilds, R. (2012). Climate change and aquaculture in the UK IN Marine Climate Change Report Card 2011. mccip.org.uk
- Fox, C.J., Burrows, M.T., Black, K. & Alexander, K. (2012) A Scoping Study on Marine Bioresources for Food - An Update of the 2005, Science for Sustainable Marine Bioresources Report and further Consideration of Knowledge Exchange Opportunities in this Area of Research. NERC.80 pp.
- Bailey, N., Bailey, D.M., Bellini, L.C., Fernandes, P.G., Fox, C., Heymans, S., Holmes, S., Howe, J., Hughes, S., Magill, S., McIntyre, F., McKee, D., Ryan, M.R., Smith, I.P., Tyldsely, G., Watret, R., Turrell, W.R. (2011) The West of Scotland Marine Ecosystem: A Review of Scientific Knowledge Marine Scotland Science Report Scottish Government, Aberdeen, p 292
- Black, K.D., Cottier, F., Howe, J.A., Fox, C.J., Wilson, B., Hughes, D.J., Forster, I. (2011) A Review of FOGL Exploration Drilling Environmental Impact Statement (Sept 2011), for The Falkland Islands Government. SAMS, Oban, pp. 19.
- Black, K.D., Howe, J.A., Fox, C.J., Wilson, B., Hughes, D.J., Forster, I. (2011) A review of Exploration and Appraisal Drilling Environmental Impact Statement for PL001 (Argos Resources Limited, April 2011), for The Falkland Islands Government. SAMS, Oban, pp. 16.
- Edwards, M., Helaouet, P., Halliday, N., Beaugrand, G., Fox, C., Johns, D.G., Licandro, P., Lynam, C., Pitois, S., Stevens, D. and Coombs, S. (2011) Fish larvae atlas of the NE Atlantic. Results from the Continuous Plankton Recorder survey 1948-2005. Sir Alistair Hardy Foundation for Ocean Science. 22 pp.
- SAMS Research Services – Shimmield, T., Black K., Fox, C.J., Hughes, D., Howe, J. (2011) Independent Evaluation of Deep-Sea Mine Tailings Placement (DSTP) in PNG8.ACP.PNG.18-B. A review and evaluation of marine environmental information on Deep Sea Tailings Placement with particular reference to Lihir and Misima mines, Papua New Guinea. 102 pp.
- Albaina, A., Taylor, M. & Fox, C.J. (2010) Predation impact on juvenile plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) in its nursery ground (Tralee Beach, Scotland); field application of a TaqMan real-time PCR based assay targeting plaice DNA. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea. ICES CM 2010/C:06
- Black, K.D., Howe, J.A., Fox, C.J., Hughes, D.J., Wilson, B., Shimmield, T.M. (2010) A Review of RPS Energy (Feb 2010): Environmental Impact Statement Borders and Southern Petroleum Plc Offshore Falkland Islands Exploration Drilling, (Licence PL018), for The Falkland Islands Government, SAMS, Oban, pp. 18
- Combes, J., Nichols, J.H., Fox, C. & Keus, B. (2010) Ekofish Group - North Sea (ICES IVB) twin rigged otter trawl plaice fishery. Client group extension: Extraordinary risk assessment. Certificate No.:MML-F-065. (Moody International), 11 pp.
- Combes, J., R. Capell, J. Nichols, Fox, C. & Keus, B. (2010) Surveillance Report Ekofish Group - North Sea (ICES IVB) twin rigged otter trawl plaice fishery Certificate No.: MML-F-065. Annual surveillance report, Moody International, 65 pp.
- Fox, C. (2010) Conservation of small fish is good for marine ecology. Science, e-letters, http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/eletters/326/5949/44-a#12798
- Fox, C.J. (2010) West coast fishery trials of a twin rig Nephrops trawl incorporating a large mesh top sheet for reducing commercial species gadoid bycatch SISP Report 03, Aberdeen, 39 pp.
- Nickell, T., Davidson, K., Fox, C. & Miller, P. (2010) Developing the capacity to monitor the spatial and temporal distributions of jellyfish in western Scottish waters. Scottish Association for Marine Science, Oban. Report to the Crown Estate, 47 pp.
- Black, K.D., Howe, J.A., Fox, C.J., Wilson, B., Heymans, S.J.J., Hughes, D.J., Shimmield, T.M., Sherwin, T., Forster, I. (2009) A Review of RPS Energy : Environmental Impact Statement Offshore Falkland Islands Exploration Drilling (Licences 028 015) BHP Billiton Petroleum (Falklands) Corporation For The Falkland Islands Government. SAMS, Oban, pp. 18.
- Millner, R., Fox, C., Cappell, R. & Combes, J. (2010) Marine Stewardship Certification Assessment Report, Osprey Trawlers North Sea ICES IVb twin rigged plaice fishery: Certification Report 82116/v3
- Black, K.D., Howe, J.A., Fox, C.J., Wilson, B., Heymans, S.J.J., Hughes, D.J., Shimmield, T.M., Sherwin, T., Forster, I., 2010. A Review of RPS Energy (Feb 2009): Environmental Impact Statement for Offshore Drilling Licenses PL006, PL007 and PL034 the Falkland Islands on Behalf of Desire Petroleum PLC and RPS Energy (Dec 2009): Environmental Impact Statement Addendum for Offshore Falkland Islands Drilling Programme (Licenses PL003, PL004, PL005, PL006 and PL034) for The Falkland Islands Government. SAMS, Oban, pp. 25.
- Fox, C., Harris, R., Sundby, S., Achterberg, E., Allen, J.I., Allen, J., Baker, A. Brussaard, C.P.D., Buckley, P., Cook, E., Dye, S.R., Edwards, M., Fernand, L., Kershaw, P., Metcalfe, J., Østerhus, S., Potter, T., Sakshaug, E., Speirs, D., Stenevik, E., St. John, M., Thingstad, F., Wilson, B. (2009) Transregional linkages in the North-Eastern Atlantic - An ‘end-to-end ’ analysis of pelagic ecosystems. Oceanography and Marine Biology: An Annual Review 47, 1-75
- Jackson, E. L., Langmead, O., McQuatters-Gollop, A., Miller, P., Fox, C., Hiscock, K., Tyler-Walters, H., Saunders. J. (2009) Development of a marine diversity data layer: review of approaches and proposed method. Marine Biological Association of the UK, subcontracted by ABPMer, Southampton. Defra Contract No. MB102 Task 2F, Report No. 2.
- Jackson, E.L., Langmead, O., McQuatters-Gollop, A., Miller, P., Fox, C., Hiscock, K., Tyler-Walters, H., Saunders, J. (2009) Marine Biodiversity Hotspots. Report to the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs from the Marine Life Information Network (MarLIN) Plymouth: Marine Biological Association of the UK, subcontracted by ABPMer, Southampton. Defra Contract No. MB102 Task 2F, Report No. 2.
- Metcalfe, J.D., Fox, C.J., Righton, D.A., Wright, P.J. & Casey, J. (2009) A review of the biological evidence for cod stock sub-structure in the North Sea. A working paper report from a joint CEFAS/FRS workshop for ICES. Cefas, 50 pp.
- Nichols, J., Fox, C., Keus, B., Combes, J., Hough A. (2009) Marine Stewardship Certification Assessment Report, de Boer North Sea (ICES IVb) twin rigged otter trawl plaice fishery: Certification Report 82065v1
- Fox C. (2007) North Sea cod egg surveys. In: Spatial structure of cod populations: What are the implications for the assessment and management of cod stocks? Mini-symposium eds. Crozier W, Heath M, Righton D), p. 47. Report to the UK Fisheries Laboratories Management Group of Directors, Belfast.
- Taylor, N., Fox, C.J., Bolle, L., Dickey-Collas, M., Fossum, P., Kraus, G., Munk, P., Rolf, N., van Damme, C., Vorback, M. (2007) Spring plankton surveys of the North Sea in 2004: the distribution of eggs and larvae from the international ichthyoplankton survey. ICES Co-operative Report. No. 285, 60 pp, ices.dk/pubs/crr/crr285/CRR285.pdf
- Fox, C.J. & Armstrong, M.J. (2007) Tracking fish populations by egg surveys. Fishing News, 20 April 2007, 9
- Mills, D., Rees, J., Malcolm S., Fox, C., Edwards, M., Laane, R., Bot, P., Ridderinkhof, H., Colijn, F., Petersen, W., Schroeder, F., Johanneson, J., Svendsen, E. & Hacket, B. (2005) Towards a European marine ecosystem observatory (EMECO). European Marine Sciences Symposium
- Fox, C.J., Taylor, M. Dickey-Collas, M. Bolle, L. Daan, N. Rohlf, N. Kraus, G. Munk, P. Fossum, P. & Bailey N. (2005) Initial results from the 2004 ichthyoplankton survey of the North Sea. ICES CM 2005/AA:04, ices.dk/products/CMdocs/2005/AA/AA0405.pdf
- Fox, C.J., Armstrong, M.J. & Blanchard, J. (2005) Irish Sea cod In Spawning and Life History Information for North Atlantic cod Stocks, ICES Co-operative Research Report, 274, 62-75, ices.dk/pubs/crr/crr274/crr274.pdf
- Blanchard, J., Heffernan, O.A. & Fox, C.J. (2005) North Sea cod In Spawning and Life History Information for North Atlantic cod Stocks. ICES Co-operative Research Report, 274, 76-88, ices.dk/pubs/crr/crr274/crr274.pdf
- Daskalov, G.M., Kell, L.T. & Fox, C.J. (2004) Large scale environmental effects on recruitment of commercially exploited fish stocks in the North Atlantic. ICES CM 2004/M 16, ices.dk/products/CMdocs/2004/M/M-2004.pdf
- Bunn, N. & Fox, C.J. (2004) Spring plankton surveys of the eastern Irish Sea in 2001, 2002 and 2003: Hydrography and the distribution of fish eggs and larvae. Science Series Data Report, 42, 214 pp, cefas.co.uk/Publications/files/datarep42.pdf
- Bunn, N. & Fox, C.J.(2004) Spring plankton surveys of the Irish Sea in 2000: Hydrography and the distribution of fish eggs and larvae. Science Series Data Report, 41, 131 pp, cefas.co.uk/Publications/files/datarep41.pdf
- Butterworth, D.S., Cochrane, K.L., Dunn, M., R. and Fox, C.J. (2004). International approaches to management of shared stocks: fisheries, management and external drivers. In: Management of shared fish stocks. Payne, A.I.L., O'Brien, C.M. and Rogers, S.I. (eds.) Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, pp. 348-355, Not available electronically
- Garcia-Vazquez, E., Perez, J., Alvarez, P., Rico, C., Fox, C., Lopes, P., Teia, A., Karaiskou, N., Triantaphyllidis, A. & Triantaphyllidis, C. (2002) Genetic identification of fish by species-specific DNA markers for use in stock biomass assessments detection of commercial fraud. ICES CM 2002/U:02, 2 pp, ices.dk/products/CMdocs/2002/U/U-2002.PDF
- Clark, R.A., Fox, C.J., Ben-Hamadou, R. and Planque, B. (2001) A directory of hydrographic and atmospheric datasets for the north east Atlantic and UK shelf seas. CEFAS, Science Series Technical Report, 113, 43 pp, cefas.co.uk/Publications/techrep/tech113.pdf
- Bunn, N., Fox, C.J., & Webb, T. (2000) A literature review of studies on fish egg mortality: implications for the estimation of spawning stock biomass by the annual egg production method. Science Series Technical Report, 111, CEFAS, Lowestoft, 37 pp, cefas.co.uk/Publications/techrep/tech111.pdf
- Fox, C.J., Milligan, S. P. & Holmes, A. J. (1999) Spring plankton surveys in the Blackwater Estuary, 1993-1997. Science Series Technical Report, 109, CEFAS, Lowestoft, 51 pp, cefas.co.uk/Publications/techrep/tech109.pdf
- Fox, C.J., Dickey-Collas, M. & Winpenny, A. J. (1997) Spring plankton surveys of the Irish Sea in 1995: The distribution of fish eggs and larvae. Science Series Technical Report, 104, CEFAS, Lowestoft, 106 pp, cefas.co.uk/Publications/techrep/tech104.pdf
- Fox, C., Brown, J. H. & Briggs, M. (1994) The nutrition of prawns and shrimp in aquaculture - a review of recent research. In Recent Advances in Aquaculture V (J.F. Muir and R.J. Roberts eds.), pp. 131-206. Blackwell Scientific, Not available electronically
- Nichols, J. H., Haynes, G. M., Fox, C.J., Milligan, S. P., Brander, K. M. & Chapman, R. J. (1993) Spring plankton surveys of the Irish Sea in 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988 and 1989: hydrography and the distribution of fish eggs and larvae. Fisheries Research Technical Report, 95, Directorate of Fisheries Research, Lowestoft, 111 pp, cefas.co.uk/Publications/techrep/tech95.pdf
Selected conference presentations
- Rybicki, S., Sell, A. & Fox, C.J. (2016) The diversity of groundfish assemblages at different spatial scales in the North Sea – implications for future monitoring programs. North Sea Open Science Conference, Brussels, 7-10 Nov 2016, Poster. Nov 2016
- Crocket, K., Abell, R., Brand, T. & Fox, C. (2016) New developments in trace metal analysis at SAMS: Automated preconcentration by SeaFAST. UHi Annual Science Conference, Poster
- Albalat, A., Collard, A., Coates, C., McAdam, B. & Fox, C. (2016) FIS07: Post-catch survivability of discarded Norway lobsters (Nephrops norvegicus): Towards a regional and ecosystems-based approach. Annual Scottish Fisheries Conference, 23-24 Aug 2016, St Andrews, Scotland. Oral presentation.
- Fox, C., Morton, C. & Boswarva, K. (2016) Are marinas leading to jellyfish blooms? Fifth International Jellyfish Blooms Conference, Barcelona, May 2016. Oral presentation.
- Crocket, K., Abell, R., Brand, T. & Fox, C. (2016) New developments in seawater trace metal analysis at SAMS: Automated preconcentration by seaFAST. MASTS Marine Stressors meeting, Feb 2016, Poster
- Albalat, A. Collard, A., Coates, C., McAdam, B. & Fox C. (2015) Post-catch survivability of discarded Norway lobsters (Nephrops norvegicus): Towards a regional and ecosystems-based approach. MASTS Annual Science meeting, 1st Oct 2015, Oral presentation
- Fox, C.J. (2015) Impact of the landings obligation on the Scottish Nephrops trawl sector. Coastal Futures Conference, London, 23rd Jan 2015. Oral presentation
- Fox, C.J. (2014) Impact of the landings obligation on the Scottish Nephrops trawl sector. MASTS Annual Science Conference, Edinburgh, 4th Sept 2014. Oral presentation
- Zölck, M., Minto, C., Brophy, D., Fox, C. & McGrath, D. (2012) Examining spatial variation in growth patterns of Irish Sea plaice using an extended double logistic model. ICES CM 2012/J
- Höffle, H., van Damme Cindy J. G., Fox, C.J. & Munk, P. (2012) Fish Eggs and Larvae in the North Sea – hydrographic and spatial controls on distribution. ASLO Ocean Science Conference, Salt Lake City, 20-24 February, Oral presentation
- Pliru, A., van der Kooij, Jerouen, Engelhard, G.H., Fox, C.J., Milligan, S.P. & Hunter, E. (2011) Is recruitment of plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) in the Irish Sea constrained by predation of eggs by sprat (Sprattus sprattus)? ICES Annual Science Conference CM/H:33
- Zölck, M., Brophy, D., Fox, C.J., McGrath, D., Minto, C. (2011) Characterising plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) nursery grounds using otolith microstructure and microchemical signatures. 8th International Flatfish Symposium, Nov. 2011, Oral presentation
- Albaina, A., Taylor, M.I., Taylor, N. & Fox, C. (2008) First steps in order to quantify predation on plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) nursery grounds using molecular markers, 7th International Flatfish Symposium, Nov. 2008, Oral presentation
- Ciotti, B., Targett, T., Nash, R.D.M., Batty, R., Burrows, M., Geffen, A. & Fox, C.J. (2008) Spatial and temporal growth dynamics of juvenile plaice (Pleuronectes platessa) in West Scotland and the Irish Sea: an assessment using a nucleic acid based assay, 7th International Flatfish Symposium, Nov. 2008, Oral presentation
- Damme, C.J.G. van, Bolle, L.J., Fox, C.J., Fossum, P., Kraus, G., Munk, P., Rohlf, N., Witthames, P. and Dickey-Collas, M. (2008) Can the Annual Egg Production method tell us more about stock dynamics than the traditional stock assessment? A worked example of North Sea plaice. ICES Annual Science Conference and 7th International Flatfish Symposium, Nov. 2008,, Oral presentation
- Pitois, S. G., & Fox, C. J. (2007) Have climate induced changes in zooplankton community led to poor conditions for larval fish growth? A test on cod larvae on the UK shelf. 4th International Symposium on Zooplankton Production, June 2007, Hiroshima, Japan. Talk
- Goodsir, F., Fox, C., Armstrong, M., Milligan, S., Shaw, M., Godard, M. & Creach, V. (2007) Can formaldehyde fixed gadoid eggs be identified using genetic probes? ICES Annual Science Conference, Q:23, Sept 2007, Helsinki, Finland. Poster
- Goodsir, F., Fox, C., Armstrong, M., Stone, D., Schön, P., Taylor, N., Taylor, M. & Godard, M. (2007) Using genetic probes to identify gadoid eggs in surveys to monitor the Irish Sea cod stock under the EU recovery program. ICES Annual Science Conference, Q:24, Sept 2007, Helsinki, Finland. Poster
- Armstrong, M., Fox, C., Gerritsen, H., Goodsir, F., Greenwood, L., Milligan, S., Prael, A., Schön, P., Taylor, N. & Withames, P. (2007) Developing an egg-survey approach to monitoring the biomass of cod and other demersal fish species in the Irish Sea. ICES Annual Science Conference, Q:25, Sept 2007, Helsinki, Finland. Poster
Expert advice to regulators / government
Regular involvement in committees such as Scottish Offshore Renewables Research Framework (SpoRRan) – Fish and Fisheries Specialist Receptor Group; Marine Alliance Science Technology Scotland Fisheries Sub-committee; Defra HBDSEG Fish and Cephalopods Expert Advisory Group
National and international representation
Scottish Offshore Renewables Research Framework (SpoRRan) – Fish and Fisheries Specialist Receptor Group
Marine Alliance Science Technology Scotland Fisheries Sub-committee
Defra HBDSEG Fish and Cephalopods Expert Advisory Group
EU Joint Research Council Expert Group on Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries Management (2012)
Argyll & Bute Fisheries Local Action Group (FLAG) Panel (from 2012)
NERC Peer Review College (till 2011)
Scottish Industry Science Partnership Advisory Pane
Chair of the ICES North Sea Ichthyoplankton Planning Group (till Dec 2008)
Shelf Seas co-ordinator, European Network of Excellence EUROCEANS (till Dec 2008)
Fox, C.J. (2017) Talks on Radio Scotland about razor clam fishing. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08m8tjf#play April 15 programme from 35:20 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08n1yr3#play April 22 programme from 12:30
Brexit vote has led to considerable uncertainty over the future of marine management and science in UK waters. MEAM and MPA News; Dec 2016 (10:3).
Ciotti, B., Burrows, M.T., Fox, C.J., Targett, T.E. (2014) What makes a good nursery ground? New answers, and more questions, after a decade of collaborative research on YOY plaice. Newsletter of the Early Life History Section of the American Fisheries Society, 35, 3
Fox, C.J. (2014) Hold that cod – the North Sea fish controversy isn’t over yet. The Conversation
Proceedings of the Royal Society
Marine Ecology Progress Series
Journal of Plankton Research
Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science
Fisheries Oceanography, Fisheries Research, Marine Biology
Chilean Marine Science Board
I am an experienced project manager for inter-disciplinary marine biological programs; a member of national and international scientific planning committees; Chair of ICES Planning Group on North Sea Ichthyoplankton Surveys (2003-2008); Co-ordinator for external Field-courses at SAMS.
Since Oct 2014: Senior Lecturer Fisheries Ecology. SAMS
2007-2014: Lecturer Fisheries Ecology. SAMS
1992-2007: Higher / Senior Scientific Officer. CEFAS
1990-1992: PostDoc. Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling
1990 PhD Marine Biochemistry. University of Stirling
1985 BSc Marine Biology (first class). University of Liverpool